I mentioned last night that we lost a beloved horse. Last week our 25 year old Arabian, BB, died the day we planned on bringing him back from the family ranch. I looked back on the post from the day he came--almost a year from the day he died.

The kids ran up to the bunkhouse and informed us that he seemed sick. Sure enough, he was obviously not well. Max and Chase got him to stand up in hopes of getting him loaded on the trailer so that we could haul him back to see the vet. Even though he was fading fast, he obediently loaded one last time on the trailer and then collapsed. It wasn't five minutes later that he died. We were so sad. Claire, pictured below, bawled for quite a while. She really loved BB. We are not sure what happened to him. We're hoping that it was just his time to go and nothing could have been done for him. Just two days earlier Claire, Kaley and Grant rode him in the arena and he seemed fine. He started limping a little towards the end so Trish put him up.

BB was a terrific horse for the children and always one of the first saddled. He was one that didn't care to go fast, which was a perfect fit for kiddos learning to ride.

He was not only an asset at Galloping Grace, but he was a trooper at the pumpkin stand and Christmas Corral as well. He gave many pony rides those two months. I wish I had those pictures to share. Sadly, they are stuck in some weird part of my Mac computer and I haven't figured out how to pull them out. I guess we're left with these shots from my old, terrible lens that was full of massive amounts of dirt.

Steve and Robin, thanks again for your donation of such a wonderful horse.

He was a such a blessing to the ranch and brought much joy to hundreds of children. He will be greatly missed!
7 comments:
Awwww, so sorry. He was a lovely boy.
Run free to greener pastures, BB!
You will be missed for sure.
~Lisa
Thanks for including that picture of me with BB. He was a good horse to work with - never caused any problems at all. I'm glad he was able to lead a purposeful life for his last year.
He'll be missed.
Dan
Oh girl, I am so sorry for you loss and for GGYR's loss. BB looked like a super wonderful horse. A very handsome old devil!! At least he enjoyed his last year of life, being spoiled by little kids and feeling loved. So sad. What a good boy to load up into the trailer just one last time.
I am so sorry for the loss of BB.
Well, I am sure glad you were with him and he didn't die alone. I am so sorry for Claire...well, all of you, but it looks like he was one of her favorites.
So sad. Every morning when I go down to the barn to feed, I say a little prayer that our old 29 year old Arabian will be there. BB seems like he was a lot like him. So sad.
So sorry to hear about BB! Sounds like he was a one of a kind horse and perfect for the kind of program you run.
I also hope that Max is feeling better soon and you can solve what is causing the weird pains. Frustrating sometimes, when diagnosing something is so challenging, even by the professionals!
I want to thank the Wades and Galloping Grace Youth Ranch for giving my horse BB such a loving and wonderful home this last year. It was a blessing to me to know he was in good hands and doing something I know he loved. BB and I rode many miles together. I'm glad he spent his last miles with you.
Post a Comment