Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Land Of The Lost

Just outside of Vaughn, NM a clan of cavemen was spotted by my trusty lens. At first I was scared to get too close. I had no idea if they were a peaceful tribe. Did they carry clubs or sacrifice bears--I couldn't be sure. As I got closer I could see that they did, in fact, use tools. The young one in the green garment seemed a little camera shy. Would he hurl a rock at me? Was there a hidden spear in his pouch? These were two of the questions racing through my mind.
After a while it became very apparent the cavemen were not sophisticated enough to harm a flea. One was pointing while another stood scratching his head. They seemed oblivious to how cavemen should act. Hunting food and protecting their women? I seriously doubt they could pull that off.


But wait...

They were friendly...

And cute!
Perhaps the children saw a chance at a normal existence. Perhaps the woman with the camera could guide them in a positive direction.
The very young started emerging from various openings in the wall of many caves.

A metal tag with "LOBO" written across was my only hint at the ways of these ancient people. But what did it mean? Their pet looked to be exotic and nocturnal. I sensed right away that the woman in the bright tunic meant me no harm. After that I knew all would be fine, for I had found a friend. Folks, this was my adventure as I remember it. As you can see from the happy look on my face,
my time with these forgotten people will forever be a cherished memory.

15 comments:

Paint Girl said...

Look at that sky! So blue!
Love the caveman commentary! Gave me a good laugh!

TjandMark said...

Oh my goodness! Too cute Michelle. Did you see the movie, "nannie diaries', your story reminded me of her opening and closing commentary. I also think it funny that we rarely see your face. Are you related to 'Wilson'?

Melissa said...

Thats too cute!!! I loved it!!! I agree are you related to Wilson??

Pony Girl said...

It is so beautiful there! That owl was amazing. I love the picture of the wind in your hair...or the hair in your face! You are such a doll! Congrats on the opening date!
Random question, do you load your photos through blogger, or do you upload code from Photobucket? I've noticed my new camera's picture are quickly sucking down my blogger upload limit a lot faster than my old ones (because I am taking pictures on bigger files, in case I want to print them later.) Any tips you have would be great! Thanks! ;)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

What a great post! I love the story line and the pictures! It looks like everyone had a LOT of fun. How on earth did you find that owl?

Cindy said...

Everyone else beat me to it, but as soon as I saw your picture, I thought, "That's it. She's Wilson!)

You are too funny. I love the pictures and witty commentary. VERRRY impressed with your "pet owl" sighting!

How many creative ways can you show pictures of yourself while not really showing yourself?

Trish said...

That's for the story and the laugh. I was cracking up!

Dan and Betty said...

I think the men were "hunting women and protecting their food" - a man thing,you know.

Great pictures.

Dan

Regina said...

lovely story
r

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

And what a relief that owl was safely inside a cave.....and not in your water troughs! lol!

Ugga ugga...UG!

~Lisa

Danielle Michelle said...

How fun! I love climbing into caves. They are so much fun to explore!

I love your owl!

Keri said...

I'm not claustrophobic, but I felt a bit anxious looking at some of those kids in the caves! You're going to think I'm a total spaz. Actually, I kind-of am.
Anyway, Did you read Clan of the Cavebear? Dan is totally right. hehehe!
I'm glad you didn't succumb to a cro-magnon's club!

The Wades said...

Keri, did YOU read Clan Of The Cavebear???? That series was one of my very faves growing up! LOVED it!

Tj,no haven't seen Nanny Diaries. Now I'm curious.

Wilson, he's my brother.

Pony Girl, my pictures are ginormous! I have been filling up my blogger account for over a year now with full sized shots. I think I'm approaching 50% usage. Not too bad considering the amt of pics I put in each post.

Owl was spotted hanging out in cave. The theory is that she was guarding some eggs.

Cindy, I think I'll try and find out how many. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Jessica Gordon said...

What a great post!! You are so creative, I loved the story and the pictures to go with!

Those caves are awesome, though I am sure I would be much too scared to crawl into any of them...

Samantha said...

Gorgeous photos, especially the owl and the curious woman with the hairy face. I assume in the next frame, one of the ancient people dragged you back to their caves so you could cook them dinner?