Monday, August 10, 2009

Should They Stay Or Should They Go?


I sure hope you sang that title.

Lucky us returned from branding weekend at our family cattle ranch to find three kittens on the premises. These kittens were fed the whole time by a Ms. Bonnie, Mr. Joe, and probably my very own mother. I guess these adults decided to encourage the little mangy cats to stick around. What the three little boogers did not expect was to see a wild wolf (AKA Hank) show up to chase them. Up a tree one flew.

Of course our children were instantly in love.
Even Amazing Amanda got a cuddle in. The next day one decided to take a nap on Holly's camera. See what trouble cats are?!

Zack didn't seem to have a problem with them. What a wimp, huh?
So the argument from all the cat lovers out there is that the two cats left (Heidi and Kurt already adopted the third) is that they will kill the mice and rats. My opinion--I'd rather have the rodents than two cats that make me sneeze. My poor son Garrett came home quite a few days with miserable allergies. He didn't realize he was also allergic and continued to hold and pet the cats. Even after all that, he still votes that they get to stick around.

GGYR readers, what's your vote?
Should we send them packing or share the ranch? Their future is in your hands (maybe.)

11 comments:

Cindy said...

I vote share the ranch! So what if you have allergies, sheesh, don't be so wimpy!

Robin said...

I think my boys would vote to let them stay. They've had a great time chasing them around!

MaskedMan said...

What's a ranch without barn cats? It's so traditional it's almost a law. OTOH, they're so adorable, finding homes shouldn't be hard...

Either way, get them altered.

Dan and Betty said...

Find homes for them. Winter will be tough on them.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Cats don't eat holes in feed bags or cut strings on hay bales. Rodents do. They need to be outside cats with a place to get in out of the weather. Kids seem to love something they can cuddle.

TjandMark said...

Cats that aren't coddled don't need much. My barn has 5! I am also allergic, so I just don't pet them much and when I do, I run and wash my hands quick. Kids sure love them though and that makes it all ok somehow, plus they really do keep the rodents down and I don't even have raccoon or skunk problems anymore. So I vote, keep the cats. Give them vaccinations and worm them and put on some of that flea drop stuff on them and you are good to go. You don't even have to take them to a vet to do that stuff, most feed stores have it all available (except the rabie shot).

TjandMark said...

oh, masked man is right too about the altering. All mine are altered as well.

Barb said...

They need to go... I don't want them to become coyote bait. And the bull snakes can take care of the mice.

Samantha said...

Aw, keep 'em! They're so cute! And I seem to remember hearing that kids that grow up around cats/dogs outgrow their allergies faster. Though maybe the person who said that was a sadist, I don't know. ;)

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

Aww, after all, you want to bring pure joy to children, right? SO what better way than to ride horses and cuddle cats? Think Puss in Boots from Shrek looking at you with those eyes he makes......

Bethany Dawn Burns said...

Wow! These photos are so awesome...I think they will have to stay. Too many cute photo opportunities. :) Love the one with the kitty and the camera.