During the past few weeks since my visit to the cardiologist, I have been on a roller coaster of emotions. Right now, I am at a low point. Typically, I am physically able to accomplish many things by myself. God has blessed me with the strength and endurance that allows me to be highly productive with my body. All of my life, I have prided myself on this ability. I am not used to having to sit on the sidelines and let other people do things for me. That is exactly what I have to do right now and I am struggling with it. It is not because I am not physically capable of doing these things; rather it is to protect my heart. The pressure that is produced during heavy lifting or intense physical exertion could be fatal. That reality still does not take away the extreme frustration that I experience while watching others “break their backs for me”.
Tonight is girl’s night, so I have decided t o do the post for Michelle and get a little therapy at the same time. Before I give you an anatomy lesson, I want to be thankful. Thank you to all of you who have given your time and bodies to help with the ranch and pumpkin patch. I do not like watching and not participating but I have no choice. Be patient with me when I get frustrated. It is not because you are not doing a great job; it is only because I can’t do it myself.
Romans 5:3 says: we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
So here is the anatomy lesson. I have been diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve. This valve has deteriorated to a point were it allows significant regurgitation of blood back into the heart. As a result of this regurgitation, I have developed an aneurysm of the aortic root. The combination of these issues means I will need open heart surgery to replace the valve and possibly the aortic root as well.
The normal heart is a strong, muscular pump a little larger than a fist. It pumps blood continuously through the circulatory system. Each day the average heart "beats" (expands and contracts) 100,000 times and pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood. In a 70-year lifetime, an average human heart beats more than 2.5 billion times.
Within the heart there are a series of valves that function as a result of the pressure produced by the pumping action of the heart.
- The tricuspid valve regulates blood flow between the right atrium and right ventricle
- The pulmonary valve controls blood flow from the right ventricle into the pulmonary arteries, which carry blood to your lungs to pick up oxygen
- The mitral valve lets oxygen-rich blood from your lungs pass from the left atrium into the left ventricle
- The aortic valve opens the way for oxygen-rich blood to pass from the left ventricle into the aorta, your body's largest artery, where it is delivered to the rest of the body.
Bicuspid Aortic Valve: An Introduction
Bicuspid aortic valve:
The aortic valve is on the left side of the heart. It separates the left ventricle and the entrance to the aorta, the artery that carries blood to the body.
Valves are like doors that open and close. They open to allow blood into the next chamber of the heart or into one of the arteries, and then they shut to keep blood from flowing backwards.
The aortic valve normally has three cusps (leaflets). A bicuspid aortic valve has only two cusps.
A bicuspid aortic valve usually functions normally during early life and middle age. But in some cases, young adults will have symptoms due to a thickening of the bicuspid aortic valve; this is called aortic stenosis. Leaking of the aortic valve can also occur; this condition is known as aortic valve regurgitation.
In aortic valve regurgitation (also known as aortic incompetence or aortic insufficiency), the aortic valve does not close properly. Because of this, blood can leak back into the left ventricle instead of getting pumped to the rest of the body. The heart has to work harder to pump the extra blood, and over time, the left ventricle becomes larger as a result. As the left ventricle thickens, it becomes less effective at pumping blood through the aortic valve. Also, as a result of the left ventricle pumping this extra blood into the aortic root, the wall of the aorta becomes weaker resulting in an aortic root aneurysm.
An aneurysm is a ballooning of a blood vessel. This process may occur in any artery in the body. When it occurs in the aortic root, it is called an aortic root aneurysm. The bulging of the aortic root can lead to several serious problems. As the aorta dilates, the risk of rupture (breaking open) increases. An aortic rupture is typically fatal. The risk of rupture becomes quite high when the maximal (greatest) diameter of the aorta reaches five centimeters.
The diameter of my aorta is greater than five centimeters, thus my necessity to not exert myself.
I hope to keep you all informed about what is going on as we find out more. Until next time, I’ll keep on ticking.
Max had some great illustrations with this post demonstrating all his points, but I couldn't figure out how to get them to load in Blogger.
12 comments:
We love you Max and hope you keep on ticking for many more years to come. Look at this as a vacation becuase as soon as your ticker is fixed the heavy lifting is all yours.
Max,
Life gives back to those who give. The abundance of love and support you receive is just a reflection of you.
On that note I believe the next day for harvest is Thursday!!!
I should have read the last bit of the post before putting on my makeup. Max, I'm so sorry for your "heart"ache. (bad pun, I know. but this will only work for so long.)
We love you and know that all will be well. Besides, look at it in a different light. You are gifting physical strength upon those around you, and they aren't even having to pay the gym membership fees. (Do I hear a fundraising idea??? They could be paying you to help! Tee Hee!)
Max you are one of the strongest men I have ever met. Both physically and spiritually. If anybody can overcome your "heart"ache, bad pun that my wife used it is you.
Just remember that the meek shall inherit the earth. Consider this a rehearsal, but that times over when the docs fix you up. My thoughts and prayers go with you, because as we all know very well...Anything is possible through the Lord Jesus.
Stay "Strong" in your faith Max, let us be the "hands and feet" of the lord for you.
You have been blessed in so many ways, and you will continue to be blessed with a successful surgery and healthy recovery. This will be a blip on the radar, and you'll come out stronger on the other side. We love you!
Max, Erin beat me to it. You're still a young man with a lot of life and hard work ahead of you. Whatever this brings, God will use it to His glory somehow.
Hopefully we'll see you Saturday afternoon when we drop by the pumpkin stand.
Dan
since you are kinda becoming one are you going to be going to the next girls night?
r
Every time I pray for you, God tells me you are and will continue to bring Him much glory through all of this. Lately, I have been helping with the firewood production on the ranch, and I watch Mark split the wood and I have realized how hard it would be for him to not be allowed to do it and I think of you and send a prayer of patience up for you. It is difficult I am sure, but you are up for the task ahead. Blessings and joy to you- Tammie
Max, when I read your post, I was struck by the difference between
the progression of symptoms in your heart and the wonderfully communal way in which you have been leading many adults in the common goal of giving pure joy to children through horses. My prayer is for the physicians to quickly bring your cardiac system into proper working-together order... just as you and Michelle have done at G.G.
Your doctor has advised you to do less work so that the left ventricle won't over-stress the rest of the system. Fair enough. Luckily for you, and the kids, and G.G., and the volunteers...there is a back-up system for the horse program...more fun and brilliant leadership from you, and more serious commitments and important help from your friends.
Mercy, and Grace. mark
Praying.....
Wish I could get my husband to post!
What an informative post, Max. Thanks for explaining this condition.
After this is all over, you could even become a poster child for heart ailments and their successes.
You'd definetly look great on those posters! :)
Stay healthy, Max and we'll be praying for you throughout it all.
~Lisa
Still praying for you guys.
I think God is using this to show you how many people love and care about you all, and to give you a chance to let others help in a way that would be hard to allow if you weren't forced to let them.
BTW, in spite of it all, you still look as busy and hardworking as ever!!!
Post a Comment