Thursday, October 16, 2008

Field Trip Fun

On Monday we had three different groups take field trips to our pumpkin stand. Most of the children were under the age of ten. Well, except this group.Employees from an assisted living home down the road from the stand decided to take their residents on an outing. They showed up outside the fence and asked Max if he would mind if they came in to pick out pumpkins. Mind? We were delighted!I asked these "kids" if they were interested in riding the horse we had there. Would you believe they all politely declined? I then asked if any of them wanted their faces painted but got the same result. I think they all enjoyed just being out in the sunshine on a beautiful fall day. I would like to compliment the employees. I know it was not easy pushing them in their wheel chairs on that gravel, but they all did it cheerfully. They asked the residents over and over if they were enjoying themselves. I know their acts of beneficence were appreciated, even if none of the "kids" could express their gratitude. They picked out almost $100 worth of pumpkins to take back to the home to decorate. It was so cute--they even put the residents' name on the bottom of each pumpkin just like teachers do on field trips.

I asked if they were all allowed to have a piece of candy. They might not have wanted to ride horses or have their faces plastered with jack-o-lanterns and bats, but they all perked up when they saw that candy bowl. I guess some pleasures are timeless.

I hope those pumpkins bring cheer to these kind folks. They sure made our day.

12 comments:

Cindy said...

Awww, what a sweet post!

WOD=Beneficence.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

WOTD: beneficence

Those seniors were just so darn sweet! I would have made little goodie bags stuffed full with candy for each of them. Too precious!

And you all are so sweet for showing them such a great time, too. :)

~Lisa

Trish said...

Bringing pure joy to children and the kid at heart! WOD-beneficence

Auntie Nee said...

That was cute!!!!

WOTD: beneficence

dena said...

Children of all ages...Love it!

Andrea said...

They must have had a ball! I have a special place in my heart for old people! I love them!! I really love old men! They crack me up. They have some of the funniest stories!! It's so great to see them out and about at your pumpkin patch. By the way,that is a totally awesome pumpkin patch. I still would love to see a far away picture of it!!

Beneficence that is a mouth full!! lol

Anonymous said...

What a very sweet post! Kids of all ages!
WOD: beneficence

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

Hope you're prepared to keep this pumpkin patch going for a LONG time...we'll somehwere for our kids to push us around in another oh, 40 years? I'm glad they came out and it was a nice day. We will hopefully be by on Saturday either between soccer games or after the last one around 1pm. Better be there so I can get your picture and put it on MY blog after your comment missy :-)

daniel cooksey said...

I love seeing the pics from the pumpkin patch, now having been there. Next time we'll make it out to the ranch or get a game in of Settlers. Everything ya'll do is inspiring.

--Wade Daniel, Marie, & Juliet

TjandMark said...

Beneficence is the word today. There get my name in again, Michelle. You got it gal.

I love the post. How sweet.

Tj

Train Wreck said...

Oh that is so great of you! I am sure you made their day! It is good to see that they are getting out in the sunshine!

Anonymous said...

their beneficence, and yours should be applauded :)

i loved this sweet post

lis