OK, what I'm about to tell you will definitely make many of you think less of me. That's fine. I totally deserve it. There are some things I do well, but managing my life and my family's is not one of them.
So I was going through a stack of papers last week when I came upon an envelope addressed to Max. Because he wants me to open any and all things that come to him so he doesn't have to, I had at it. Imagine my horror when I read a juror summons for August 6!! YIKES! Um, yeah, he didn't make it. What losers! In my defense, is there a law that says a person has to read their mail within two to three months? To anticipate correspondence from the government demanding compliance for duties? Please show me such law.
We got a little concerned about this missed court date. Was there a warrant out for his arrest? Would he be forced to make it up during pumpkin stand, his most beloved time of the year and a time we desperately need his set up skills? Cringe!
We fretted for a couple days, procrastinating the punishment. Today I called to face the music. I let the lady who answered know that I was calling for my husband who had missed his report date. She took all of his information and then said, "Yes?" I asked her what we needed to do to make good on this. She said, "We'll have to get him rescheduled." When I asked her when, she told me it must be done within six months of the original summons.
YEA! That means Max is available during pumpkin stand and Christmas tree stand. Oh happy day! She put him down for January 25. I love that kind lady who I'm sure has a thankless job.
Please feel free to help Trish remind us of this pressing engagement sometime in January. Wouldn't that be a bit of an issue missing again?!
Thanks.
Love,
The Jailbird and his scattered bride
Much thanks to the painters from today. Post to follow soon--I want you to see all the amazing volunteers in action.
I just noticed in this post and the last one I worried about what you must think of me. Really shows my insecurities, huh? You must think I'm crazy. ;)
15 comments:
i cant even begin to imagine the long, drawn out, rambling of a story you told that poor lady!
as a side to your readers, not only can you expect michelle to NOT open (or even go out to the mailbox which is basically directly across the street from her house) for weeks/months on end. . . if your kids send her kids letters/cards/dumb drawings you should expect to not get any back in return. just keeping it real.
r
as i just wrote to regina, i did not tell the lady any long story--i even surprised myself about that. i just told her i found it in a stack of mail and was really sorry.
as for the last part, yeah, guilty. nothing meant by it--just not good with the whole mail thing. the kids send their love--lots of it!
K that should be an easy date for you to remember because the best people are born on the 25th of Jan!!!
Just kidding. And to Regina. I have yet to get cards, letters, and pictures from her kids. SO...
love
Ah yes, I do recall how TERRIBLE you are about checking your mail...good to know some things never change!
Just so you all know, we're much better at checking the mail now. Brooke, Max, and I all share that duty. And for a while, we were doing great actually opening the mail--at least Max was. It seems we've hit another bad slump. Don't worry--we'll pull ourselves out.
Too Funny. When we have missed in the past, we did nothing and eventually another date appears in the mail. Ta Da. We really must be delinquent citizens.
I didn't realize some of our best friends are hardened criminals. But, I guess there is redemption for everyone.
Max, just one rule for being a juror -- hang 'em all. Makes it easier.
Dan
You have a great gift for story telling. I love reading your humorus stories. Don't worry about reading the mail. You just keep on writing. All these comments are testament to how much people like reading about your life. Bravo!
Ha! Maybe you need a good lawyer in the family to keep you straight. Regina, Uncle Chendo and I are still waiting on OUR letters/cards/dumb drawings. Hmph. ;)
Yeah, that totally sounds like something I'd do. My Scorpio twin--at it again. ;)
erin and renee, when you actually have kids my kids will send your kids things. notice i didnt say 'if your kids send max and michelle' something. it said 'if your kids send her kids' something. and erin i just emailed chendo something the other day and got many questions as to why i would be mailing flip flops.
r
Oh that is so something I would do...on the fair...I'm so mad I missed it this year! It's my favorite place to be in the fall! WAY better than Colorado's!!!
Your post made me hungry.
I personally would like to think that any law enforcement branch has sooo many more pressing issues than missing jurors. I personally love your scattered ways... because I don't feel so alone in the world :)
Oh my gosh! That is crazy. I am on call until Oct.31st for jury duty. They have already called me in once but I did not get picked for that trial. They can call me back anytime to come in. Why me? I am going to tell them to send all of my notices to your house from now on he he! :)
I loveeeee opening mail. Shall I swing by every couple days and and sort your mail? I recycle all the junk mail too!!
not bragging or anything!....
Post a Comment