My primary job during parties is to delegate my way out of everything and then take pictures of others in action. It makes sense to me! Who would get cute pictures of Steph showing an impressionable young man how to groom a calm, easy going horse if I were busy leading an activity? Silliness! Someone must be there to capture the important moments.
Ghost is one of our friendliest horses. He loves for anyone and everyone to pet him. Wouldn't it then make sense for him to be the horse that is groomed during a party? Steph happily managed the grooming station. I left her to work her magic and moved on to other photo ops. After a while "working" other areas of the party, I heard a loud noise, a few gasps, a yell or two, and then a horse running. Good times! The party had gone up a notch in the fun department! What had happened, I didn't know. It's a darn good thing I was prepared with my camera to capture this sight.
That would be the back of the barn where Ghost had just been tied. Please notice that Ghost is no longer tied to the back of the barn--the back of the barn that is lying on the ground. Also note that Steph and the grooming station have vanished.
My super speedy reflexes got me to the scene just in time. I think you all would have felt a little cheated if you didn't get to see Ghost, standing off in the distance, still tied to a piece of the barn. That is some interesting stuff! You cannot see Cowgirl Erin in this shot, but she is to the left of Ghost carefully approaching so as not to spook him. Good horse sense, that girl! Max, Steph, Renee, and Darren were also cool as cucumbers. That is vital, folks! Remain calm when things get dicey. This might be the reason all the volunteers "let" me get away with taking the pictures--no one trusts me or my high-strung antics! I should reflect on this.
Erin and crew removed the barn from the equine and carried it back to its proper location.
There might have been a slight design flaw with this one. Actually, not a design flaw, more a misplaced eye bolt. As Steph tells the story, Ghost pulled back a bit, felt the board give, and spooked.
Steph pushed the child grooming out of harm's way and saved the day! She had the nerve to later apologize for letting that happen. As if! We were so happy she thought quick on her feet and did not let anyone get hurt. Horses are some mighty powerful animals!
That would be the back of the barn where Ghost had just been tied. Please notice that Ghost is no longer tied to the back of the barn--the back of the barn that is lying on the ground. Also note that Steph and the grooming station have vanished.
My super speedy reflexes got me to the scene just in time. I think you all would have felt a little cheated if you didn't get to see Ghost, standing off in the distance, still tied to a piece of the barn. That is some interesting stuff! You cannot see Cowgirl Erin in this shot, but she is to the left of Ghost carefully approaching so as not to spook him. Good horse sense, that girl! Max, Steph, Renee, and Darren were also cool as cucumbers. That is vital, folks! Remain calm when things get dicey. This might be the reason all the volunteers "let" me get away with taking the pictures--no one trusts me or my high-strung antics! I should reflect on this.
Erin and crew removed the barn from the equine and carried it back to its proper location.
There might have been a slight design flaw with this one. Actually, not a design flaw, more a misplaced eye bolt. As Steph tells the story, Ghost pulled back a bit, felt the board give, and spooked.
Steph pushed the child grooming out of harm's way and saved the day! She had the nerve to later apologize for letting that happen. As if! We were so happy she thought quick on her feet and did not let anyone get hurt. Horses are some mighty powerful animals! Mattie and gang took this unplanned surprise like champs. I never heard any of them complain. (I loved this group!) Also, the volunteers leading riders around in the arena didn't skip a beat. Nancy remarked, "I heard something going on but wasn't sure what it was." I could be lying--Dan might have said that. Would the real person of this quote please stand up? I try to keep things fair and balanced on this blog.
Last night Max told me that Steph, Mike, Jonathan, and Mikey had been at GG (while we were at home probably eating or lounging) the night prior putting the back of the barn back on the back of the barn. Catch that? At some point we're going to have to stop them from being so wonderful. They are sure deserving of emolument, though GG couldn't afford it and they'd never take it.
Please allow me to go further off subject while I still have your attention. I have to tell you just a little more of our neighbors' kindness. Because of Max's heart issue, he is not allowed to pick up anything over fifty pounds. That causes some real challenges for Max. He is forever and always picking up things that weigh more than fifty pounds!
Mike, Steph, Jonathan and Mikey came over Saturday morning to move a whole stack of hay so Max wouldn't! 
Sunday morning they went with Max to Corrales (a small town near here) to get several more bales that someone who will be donating horses to GG was selling at a great price. Again, they didn't want Max moving the hay.
Chase also jumped in there to lend a hand. Pretty sweet of him considering he's still nursing an ankle injury I supposedly caused while throwing hay off a trailer. (His own wife denies his version.) Chase missed a big chunk of his Nortre Dame game to be at the ranch. That is a true friend.
Don't even let me get started about all the things Trish has done! She is a friend who gives of her talents and muscles on a daily basis! Trish, we don't have enough words! I'm starting to feel a little panicky because the thank yous I want to say are building up faster than I can type or post. There is a big work weekend (we're expecting around 300 people)scheduled for the ranch this weekend, and several people have stepped up to help Max get ready. If you are one of those people, please know how grateful we are for your assistance! I can't wait to tell our readers how special you are to us.
Geez, this is a big sap fest! Just wait until next week--it's only going to get worse.
9 comments:
Hmmm...With your quickly excelling photography talents, you might be wanting to request *emolument* from your subjects one day.
And I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Max has concocted the heart condition to get out of all the hard work on GG. (hehe)
What a great bunch of folks you've got willing to pick up the heavy slack. :)
~Lisa
Laughing Orca Ranch
Tijeras, NM
emolument!!! I caught this word on my own! Do I get any emolument for that?!? Just kidding, I am really not 100% sure what that means, but don't tell.
I am so thankful to have you, the roving photographer, to capture these stories and entertain us with your witty journalism. This time I am totally serious:)
Michelle, what's wrong? You wrote this blog at only 10:46pm instead of midnight. Trisha totally takes after her mother, in the muscle department and strength. I taught her everything I know.
Great pictures as usual
wod - emolument
WOD: emolument
It is always fun times at GGYR
WOTD emolument
love
emolument must mean monetary compensation.
We are early to bed people, so we never read your blog until the next morning and I just want you guys to know we are praying for your appt. today.
Great photos and captions too by the way. Horses can be a little crazy sometimes. Sorry about the barn.
Tj
Nope, I didn't say your quote in the post. I just wanted to keep the horse (Blue) I was walking as calm as possible since he had a wee one on board. As far as I was concerned, nothing happened and he stayed fine.
Dan
Party hard until the barn falls down!! I am glad nobody, including the horse, were hurt. That is pretty scary. Horses are so strong. My mare pulls back when tied to a trailer and she can move the entire thing!! It's amazing how much power they have when they put their butts into it!! :)
It's so wonderful that you get some many people there to help you all out. What fantastic neighbors.
emolument
- what great neighbors!!! we should all be so lucky!
lis
Post a Comment