Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pumpkin Field Day--The Rest Of The Story

I have a ton of pictures from this past Saturday when a group of us headed out to a farm to gather pumpkins. I thought about making a slide show of the day but then figured it hasn't been that long since my last one. Instead, I'm going to quickly ramble about the shots. You need to see these nice people--you just do!

Again, all these awesome volunteers gave up their Saturday to be part of the working crew for Galloping Grace. We met at the church at 7:30 AM.

We caravaned to Moriarty, NM where all the trucks that would be hauling pumpkins had to be weighed. You might think it's silly I took this picture, but at this point I was in shock that so many people were there ready to help.
Trish counted sixteen vehicles making the drive out to the farm.
This is our nephew Matthew and Grant having a moment.
Here's a group of volunteers just waiting for their instructions.
Roy and Beth--Max's bro (who I still need to brag about) and Beth. They thought I was silly taking their picture, but I think they look darn cute. We love them and are so thankful for all they do for us.
This is Max's stepmom, Stephanie. She's one hot granny, huh? Steph was kind enough to come out to help with this crazy adventure. We also love and appreciate Steph. Just so you know, we appreciate ALL the people pictured in this post. How could we not? Great cooperation cute girls. This trailer was loaded in about ten minutes!!!!! Other trailers with smaller pumpkins took a lot longer. I don't think there was a slacker in the bunch. Please keep in mind we didn't know half the people that came out. They either heard about the gathering day from a friend or learned about it at our Second Saturday work project day. You would think we had some very experienced pickers the way they all worked.


These amazing people are the Joiners. If you've been reading this blog for a while, you might recall me highlighting them for hauling over 2000 gallons of water to the ranch EVERY WEEK for the horses and trees! They also graded the arena for free. Once you talk to them, you realize they are not only extremely generous with their time and money, but they are super sweet! I loved talking to Evonne. Bill and Chris each drove their pickups with large trailers to haul the pumpkins back. NICE! I love little Kaley in this picture. Just look how hard she's working lifting that pumpkin. Jordann, Max's stepsister, had no problems. This girl is quite the athlete and can ride horses like nobody's business! I thought it was pretty nice that she and her friend Shiann would sacrifice sleeping in on a Saturday morning to help us pick pumpkins. Hard workers everywhere.
Not sure if these two are a couple, but they would be cute as one. They kindly smiled for the camera. What people must think of me! Cute, friendly, and hardworking! Love that Kendra! Carlos was reminded of another round orange object while out in the field. Miki took a little time off from watching Grant for me to haul a few herself. I thought you would be cheated if you didn't get to see the dorky shirt I wore in honor of the occasion. (I had to crop out my silly head.) My niece Jessie wore the same shirt. I'm not quite sure why we didn't get our picture taken together. I figured you could always stand to see Garrett's snake one more time as well. (Garrett later released the snake.)What a crew! This picture shows the majority of those who made it out to the farm to help. I would guess there were about ten people not pictured. It sure is hard keeping everyone straight at times. I love little Gabriel. Beyond, beyond cute! Once back at the pumpkin stand, we had a few of the same people plus a lot of fresh, friendly faces. There were probably more children than adults in on the action. They all sure worked hard and with such panache!
This is Max's dad, Jerry. Pop hauled pumpkins back to the stand for us and then did something even more incredible--he took a load of seven horses back to the family cattle ranch. Max wants things to be easier on whomever helps take care of the ranch while he is recovering from surgery. Jerry wanted things to be easier on Max so he volunteered for the job. Pop, thank you so much--that was a huge relief for Max! With setting up the pumpkin stand and running the ranch, he didn't know when he'd find time to take them back. By the time I got around to taking the group picture, several people had taken off. Pumpkin chuckers and haulers, you are the best! You made a gigantic job fun and provided us with memories of some great people! Thank you so much.

18 comments:

Regina said...

you are freaking kidding me right? you seriously wore that shirt? jessie is what-11. you are what-more than slightly over 11. did you wink while taking the picture?
r

The Wades said...

Not kidding at all. In fact, I will also wear it at the pumpkin stand while working. :)

I got spirit, yes I do. I got spirit, how bout you??!!!

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

We'll be sure to visit soon..when are you opening? Jacob has already requested a BIG one. Maybe next year I'll feel gutsy enough to haul all my kids out there to help! Glad you have such great support...we're with ya in spirit...does that count?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh Man! I wish'd I'd known you guys were out here in Moriarty! I would have gladly chucked some pumpkins with y'all!

What an amazing bunch of hard workers with such friendly happy, joyful faces! Man, ou guys are just so blessed with caring folks always willing to lend a hand.

Hey! Was Max on the cell phone ye again while in that one group pic? Sheesh! You'd think the guy was popular or something!

I can sure see where he gets his dashingly handsome good looks. Just look at his Pa! Wow! He reminds me a bit of Jack Palance. Hot diggity dog!
And his brother has that same huge smile and 'marlboro man' jawline, too.
Wow. No wonder you're kids are so gosh darn cute! :)

~Lisa

Unknown said...

Where is your pumpkin stand located? WOD: panache?

Keri said...

What an excellent day that must have been! Looks like fun and hard work.....glad you have so many great helpers.

Dan and Betty said...

You two are truly blessed by God to have so many people who believe in you and in what you do.

Great pictures.

Please wear that shirt on Saturday when we come out so we can see it on you.

Dan

Auntie Nee said...

Reg I thought she looked cute in the shirt and Max kept calling her pumpkin. Really cute in a mushy sort of way (not really your way so you wouldn't like it.) I am sad that you cut off your head in the pic, you should really put yourself in the pics more shelly.

Love

TjandMark said...

I never know what to say in my comments,I don't have any panache! But you guys definately had a wonderful group of helpers. I wish we could have been there.

Tj

Tammy Staley said...

Looks like a success! Sorry I ditched ya. Maybe we can help with take down and clean up. :)

Samantha said...

You got some mighty nice folks in your part of the world. Whenever I ask people to wake up at dawn on a Saturday to haul pumpkins for ME, no one shows!

Did I miss the explanation for why so many pumpkins? Will the horses eat them? :)

You are certainly a photographer with panache, little lady.

And the snake? SHUDDER.

dena said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

Max and Michelle,
Thems alot of pumpkins! Wow! You all had a lot of folks helping. That's some amazing stuff.

Where are you going to be selling these pumpkins so we can come and get some?

Just set up my blog site. URL is http://reasonswhyyourhomeswon'tsell.blogspot.com

Check it out and link to it.

Se ya in the AM Max.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Wrong URL. It's

http://reasonwhyyourhousewontsell.blogspot.com

Sorry for the mistake

Regina said...

tug wanted me to say
basket, basket, two, two
t via r

Anonymous said...

i do so love panache -

regina - i just bought that shirt my own self and am considering wearing it to preschool tomorrow seeing as how it's now October and all...i just can't win with you, can I :)

love

Andrea said...

I loved your shirt!! Why did you crop your head out?? Come on!! That snake is creepy!!

I am so jealous that you guys have such an awesome pumpkin patch!! Awesome team work at unlaoding the trailer!! Your pumpkin stands look great!!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! I hope it's not too late. I just reread my post and realized that I chatted too much and I forgot to include WOTD:

Panache!

~Lisa