Thursday late morning Tootsie, our newly acquired mare, began pacing in the pen. The evening before she had been moved from the catch pen close to most of the geldings and put in another pen. She clearly was upset being separated from the other horses. She walked back and forth so much we started fearing she was going to overheat. Leah, our new super volunteer (post for another day! LOVE her!) suggested we put her in the pen with Flame and Black, two of our older gentleman. Max and I had considered this idea even before we brought Toots back but were not sure if she would harm herself and/or Flame if she was still in heat. (Black is getting a little R & R at Steph's house while he recovers from that nasty tooth infection.) What we were doing wasn't working, so it was time to move on.
Toots was brought over the the new pen and then given a sponge ice bath by three adoring girls.

Toots seemed to thoroughly enjoy the loving.

Kelsey, a regular at GG, watched the fun and seemed to enjoy herself as well. She has been itching to ride Toots, but we have not allowed it because the horse has been um, adjusting.

We determined that Toots was now calm enough to let Kelsey in on the bath action.

When Leah thought Toots had all the wiping she could enjoy for the day, she poured the remainder of the ice water on her. That horse is so gentle and calm, she didn't even move.

The rest of the afternoon and into the evening Toots was relaxed and happy. I guess just being near (they're separated by a fence) another horse settled her down. I know all you horse people out there would probably know that--we're just not well versed in the mare phenomenon. Flame seems a very good companion. At his former home, he lived with two mares and he loved Cheyenne, the other mare we used to have. (Side note--Flame is a rock star horse this year and we're so grateful for him!)

When Max was at the ranch today he saw a very content mare who let him love all over her. I wish you all could see just how sweet she is.
Now the crazy part of this blog. We were all surprised to see Toots pick through her food and eat the stems but leave the leaves. Really?? All other 12 horses do it completely opposite. Another mare thing? Steph, our neighbor, said she has never seen a horse do that. Do any of your horses do the same? (Ginger, did she do this with you guys?)

The truly cool thing about this scenario is that both Black and Flame eat only the leaves and discard the stems! Win/win! Waste not! Yin and Yang. Old sock for every old shoe. Jack Sprat could eat no fat, his wife could eat no lean. Am I missing any? Max said between Flame and Toots, it all looked nice and clean.
I think Toots was destined to live at Galloping Grace, and I can't wait to see if I'm right. One thing's for sure, she's no longer bored!
7 comments:
I am so happy to see things are getting better for her. She is so sweet I really want it to work out. Kaley is dying to ride her.
What an intersting experience you are having and sharing with all of us. Thanks for the education!
I have had a mare who did that. I thought it was SO bizarre, cause you're right, most horses eat the leaves and leave the stems.
Very strange and I have no explanation for it. Glad she's happy now with Flame! :)
Trish, I think Kaley is going to LOVE her!
Robin, you betcha! Just think--you let your kiddos read the blog and you will not need to teach much science. ;)
Mikey, how funny! I wonder what it is.
Nice that she is adjusting and has a companion to share her meals! Very strange about not eating the leaves. I wonder if she has always had grass hay? Nooo, to weird. I guess she just doesn't like her protein level to get too high!
Oh how fun, I didn't even know what Kelsey was up to. I guess that all happened during my own little adventure:)
I sure am learning alot about horses! How about an update on you and your hubby. How is his health? Does he have any additional advise about working in a job of his dreams? I love the links that show video of him talking about this job!
Post a Comment