Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sigh!

I am pouting and considering crying.

This past July we bought a Mac computer. It's great, mostly. I must admit that I have not made the full transition. I go back and forth from that computer to my PC. While blogging, I upload pictures from Mac and then switch to PC to type out and shuffle the pictures around. My PC's hard drive filled up in the fall. After that time, I started putting ALL the pictures I took in the Mac. From what I've been told, Macs are super reliable and not prone to viruses.

The last two nights the iPhoto program where I manage my photos has not worked properly. I could not get it to open on the desktop. Today I called Mac support to help rectify this situation. Apparently, the problem was too advanced for the first two technicians. The third person seemed to know what he was talking about. He had me move folders and files and such around and then re import (from a file) the pictures into iPhoto. There were over 18,000 images on there. Tim the Tech told me it would take several hours. When we got home after an evening out and about, I discovered a message telling me that the computer could not recognize 999 files and therefore could not import. WHAT?! 999 images? The scary part for me is that it magically cut out at 999. That makes me think that that was the number where it stopped. There is a possibility that none of the pictures imported. Before I break down and wail, I want to talk to Tim tomorrow. I know it sounds silly, but I am scared that ALL THE PICTURES I have taken for the last six months are gone! ALL! I do realize that people have true problems in life, but to me, this is a biggie! No pictures of Max in the hospital?? Christmas gone?? Classroom parties vanished?? No pumpkin stand or Christmas Corral? And no, I do not have any back ups. I will pray for the best. If you wouldn't mind praying over my issue, I would certainly appreciate it.

An update for those interested.

I said my computer had 18,000 images. There are actually 22,000. Some are pictures taken from the PC this summer. When I talked to Tim today, he let me know that things didn't sound good at all. The action he had me perform yesterday did not yield positive results. In the "Master" file, I could see the thumbnails but the pictures wouldn't open. He said this shouldn't be happening because the program that should have opened them wasn't iPhoto. He felt that I had a few corrupt files that might have ruined all the rest. He had me go ahead and move the entire "master" folder to the external hard drive that Max bought this morning. This took about three hours. I cannot talk to Tim again until tomorrow morning.

The minor miracle that occurred? Well, I found the same folder in the external hard drive and was able to get the pictures to open. Tim never even suggested that was a possibility. They still will not load in iPhoto, but they are there in some way. I'm thinking prayers helped save the day and/or the folder just liked its new home. I successfully copied one file of pictures before my computer told me there wasn't enough space to perform that action. I'm taking this as a great sign. I think I have hours of transferring ahead of me, but I will be so very happy if that's all there is to this problem.

I do have an external hard drive for my PC, and I have made copies of different files. I am so silly having not backed up the Mac. I might use the excuse of my crazy fall/beginning of winter. I find myself using that excuse on a whole lot of things! Max is healing well--time for me to get my act in gear. And yes, I will be checking in to Carbonite. I also am making discs to keep at my mom's house in the event that my house burns down.

Thanks so much for all the words of encouragement and prayers! If you haven't backed up your photos, learn from me and get it done.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. I think losing pictures is a huge problem! I finally got a external hard drive to back mine up. I will pray you can find all your precious pictures.

dena said...

Praying for you and the recovery of your pictures!

Andrea said...

You know what? You still have some of those pictures. They are on your blog!! So, don't freak out too much. You still have a few of Max in the hospital!! Complete with a short video!! I remember that one.

That is what is so wonderful about a blog. Your pictures are there too!!!

I hope it didn't delete all 999 pictures. I would cry too!! I rarely backup anything. I know I should, but I don't, sigh. I hope you get all your pictures back.

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

One word for you....Carbonite. I'll e-mail you with the info. You pay a yearly fee (very reasonable) and it backs up all your data on your computer...your home PC crashes? It's still all there thru carbonite. We just paid for the service and it took 3 days to back it all up. Peace of mind. If you decide to do it and sign up through the e-mail I send you, you get a bonus month and so do we. I am so sorry...hope they are still there hidden somewhere.

Keri said...

I've been considering an external drive. Right after you get this all worked out, then lets boogie on down to Circuit City (maybe they are on sale???) or Best Buy and get one.

stacy said...

Last year when my computer crashed, I thought I lost ALL of my photos since the beginning of my digital photo taking, but my computer guy got them all back. What a relief!!! By the way, love the new pics of you and the fam!!!!

Girl Tornado said...

I have an iMac and I love it, although I am having my first issues with upgrading to Photoshop Elements 6... the program doesn't work once uploaded, argh!! I hope you are able to recover your photos, that would be heartbreaking to lose so many. You have a fantastic blog here, I will be following. (P.S. I don't know the whole story behind it, but I am very glad your husband is doing well!! :)

Regina said...

tug said to tell you about carbonite too.

hope it works out. if not, dont break you mac . . . send it to me ;)
r

TjandMark said...

Ugh! I totally feel for you girl. I thought I had lost our pictures at Christmas when our computer had issues, BUT they were there. We took it to a tech guy and he fixed us all up and we got a back up hard drive where I now make an extra copy of important stuff, like photos. I will be praying that yours are found.

This reminds me of the the old days,like 10 years ago, when people's houses burned down they lamented mostly the loss of their pictures; and understandably, they are irreplacable. Now, they get lost in cyber space somewhere, but the loss is no less. Peace to you.

Dan and Betty said...

Hang in there Michelle. The pictures are still there even if they can't be recognized.

Apple makes good products, but they're not as perfect as their fans make them out to be - no computer product is as they're so complicated. Also, it's not totally true they're immune to viruses. As one computer professional said, "If Apple had 90% of all the computer business and Microsoft only 10%, then the hackers would be focusing on Apples and everyone would be talking about how immune Microsoft is." That may be a simplification, but I think there's some truth to it.

Once your problem is resolved, get a backup system. I back my pictures up onto DVD disks AND onto an external hard drive - a double back up. No one back up is 100% safe. External hard drives can die and disks can go bad.

I know Carbonite and other online back up systems are good. I use an online system, Mozy, for my documents. It's free and backs up daily, but I also back up onto a thumb drive about once a month as well.

The one risk to online back up is what happens to your data/pictures if that company goes out of business?

For me, I prefer to have control over my back ups.

We'll pray for your fruity machine and your patience and peace.

Love you,

Dan

Jessica Gordon said...

18 THOUSAND images!!!!!????? WOW!!!!! THAT is a TON, considering that is JUST since last JULY???? What does that average?!

I feel so bad for you though!! I would totally cry if it was me.... I really hope that Tim will be able to help you out tomorrow! Good luck!!!!

Pam Christison said...

Hey Michelle,
We've had a ton of crash problems this last year, so I have a couple of external drives & try to keep things backed up. But a friend just reminded me that if your house gets broken into, heaven forbid, your electronics are what gets taken. So now I'm going to also do a DVD burn at least of the important stuff. One more thing for you - along with my sincere sympathy! I almost lost a ton of stuff this summer & was only saved by miraculous answers to prayer. :) (And our great computer fixing friend.)
GOOD LUCK! Pam

Dan and Betty said...

Good news on finding the pictures work on the external drive. This is not surprising as the external drives are so simple with no other programs/systems to get in the way.

Go back ups!

Dan

Cindy said...

Ditch the mac. PC all the way.