Monday, February 9, 2009

Rumble On The Ice

Let's diversify things on this blog, shall we? How about some hockey to get you going!
Saturday evening our little family of six headed to the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho to watch a hockey game between some very brave men. It was the annual game between the firemen and police officers of Albuquerque in a knock down, drag out event. Gotta love it! Although I respect both sides greatly, I must admit our family was going for one side in particular. I will tell you which if you promise to keep a secret. After all, I would hate to receive my first ever ticket if any police officers found out that we were big firefighter fans. The guy pictured below is why--he's Fireman Barnsie. Some of you might remember him from his visit to our pumpkin stand way back in October. He was the crazy guy juggling pumpkins. He also happens to be one of our great friends--the very same great friend who put up Christmas lights on the outside of our house as a surprise this year because he knew Max couldn't. Any decent police officer should understand that a family must go for the person who did such a nice thing.

Brian and his friend Clint are hockey playing fools being that they're both from Canada. They were members of our NM professional hockey team, The New Mexico Scorpions, but are both now retired. Because of this, a new rule was implemented this year that the two of them were not allowed to take any shots on the goal. LAME-O! Should the firefighters be penalized for better recruiting of their athletes? I should thing not! :) Each member of a team comes with their own unique skill set. Is it Clint and Brian's fault they happen to be extremely good at hockey? After all, they are legitimate firemen who just happened to play hockey in their former lives.

The game ended up going into overtime. (Hockey fans, is that the correct term?) The police officers prevailed this year. Congrats to the winners. I think a good time was had by all.
To the police and firemen, thank you for your service to our community. We appreciate all you do on a daily basis.


If you're scratching your heads wondering what this has to do with a youth ranch, let me list a few things.
  • Brian has been to Galloping Grace on several occasions and has even ridden horses.
  • His wife his one of my dearest friends who helps with ranch stuff all the time.
  • The hockey game and the rodeo were held in the same arena. The rodeo sponsors donated to Galloping Grace.
  • Max was at the hockey game and he runs the ranch.

If that list didn't clear things up for you, I have no idea what will. I have proved that this post is logical and relevant beyond a reasonable doubt.

That's all I have to say about that.

Have a terrifically wonderful day.




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. I needed a little Hockey in my day. I love hockey and can't wait to get back to the states to see some!

Andrea said...

How much fun!! I would have loved to have gone. That sounds like it would have been an awesome game!!

In high school, we used to have the marching band play football against the football team. But we had to stop laying because their were too many football players getting hurt. And who said band members were dorks? I was in band!! :)

Okay, that was totaly off subject. I loved the hockey post! And it's even better when you know someone who is playing!! I remember the pumpkin juggler.

And girl, I sent out my Chirstmas cards at the end of January. So, you are alright. I normally put, Happy Holidays!! Maybe you could white out all the words "Christmas" and put Valentine's Day!!

Keri said...

That sounds so super! I would have loved to take my kids and hubby! Now I understand your comment about a fireman AND a hockey player the other day.
Anything about YOU and YOURS is about the Ranch! :)
love ya!

Cindy said...

Uh, yeah, I am still waiting for your Christmas card?...
Better hurry up, there's only 317 days til next Christmas!

I love hockey- brings back lots of high school memories. And I would have had to go with the firefighters- just watched Fireproof last night!

dena said...

Sounds completely logical to me!

Also, don't "act" like you didn't send out your "Christmas" cards last year at Valentine's Day as well! Just get on it. You only have 4 days!!! (I know you are big on deadlines, so there you go. Now you have one.)

XOXOXOXO Just spreading the LOVE

Tammy Staley said...

Looks like great fun! Hockey was really big at my high school and they won the state champs the year I was there. They got to play on Bruin Ice (big deal for them). Haven't been to a game since though. :(

Dan and Betty said...

Michelle, why don't you wait until July 4th and then they could apply to both Christmas 2008 and Christmas 2009!

I voted you needed serious help, but that has nothing to do with Christmas cards.

Love ya,

Dan

Regina said...

not letting them take any shots it typical of the public mentality~no fair having good people on your team. we have to all be special (so no one is).
i think a more logical 'fair' rule would be to not have them both on the ice at one time...but still let them take shots on goal.

firemen rule
r