Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Heart Boy's Update

Max posting:

I thought I would give you an update on how I am doing.  Great!!  This Monday made it 5 weeks since surgery.  Each day puts me farther from surgery and closer to recovery, and that makes me happy.  Our great friends Dan and Betty warned me that there would come a time when I felt great but still wouldn't be able to do anything.  They told me that it would be a very frustrating time, and boy how they were correct.  My appetite is great, my energy level is high, my pain is minimal and my desire to do something active is unreal.  As a result I try to do just a little more and then all of a sudden I lose my appetite, lose my energy, my pain increases and I wonder why in the world I did that!  Regardless, I couldn't be happier with my recovery.  I will be fully recovered when it is time, and that is fine by me.

After our board meeting on Monday, I am excited about 2009 at Galloping Grace.  Already we have people anxious to participate in the program.  Michelle and I are meeting with the website designer on Friday.  Michael believes that he should have our site up and running by March. This will be one more great addition to the ranch.

More than likely, it will be the early May before I will be well enough to do a lot at the ranch. Even though I would rather be right in the middle of everything, I am excited to be able to analyze what we do and find ways to improve.  This is also a great time to work with all of our current volunteers and to also bring on many more to work with the kids and horses.  

Like I said, every day puts me closer to recovery.   

Michelle here.  I had to add a little funny to this post.  Like Max said, he's getting a little stir crazy.  I am scheduled to be parent helper in Grant's preschool class in the morning so I will not be around to humor him.  He called up his friend and a GG volunteer, Bear, to see if he could tag along on one of Bear's many adventures.  Bear is retired and likes to do all kinds of fun things.  Bear called Max back this evening and asked if he was able to get in a hot tub.  When Max answered that he thought he was Bear said, "Great.  We're getting in my hot tub before we do something.  That's generally what I do after breakfast and before I start my day."  Isn't that sweet?  What an image!  Max and Bear hanging out, enjoying their coffee, getting ready to face the day.  What I wouldn't give for a picture of this fun event!!  I hope your day starts off even half as exciting as Max's will.  

11 comments:

Train Wreck said...

LOL! I wanna see a photo of that! Too funny. I am glad to hear all is going well. Max try not to over do it, I know it must be hard when you feel good.But, try to take it easy..

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats Max! I'm so happy for you. Time is flying for you. It's been 4 weeks since my surgery yesterday. It seems like it was yesterday. Sounds like we both have long recoveries ahead of us, too.
I know just how you feel, my friend.
I've been crazy bored and wanting to go outside and spend time with my horse and critters, but I just know how exhausted and painful I'll be if I try to do too much.
It's so frustrating, isn't it?

Physical Therapy appt tomorrow. Time for more pain. sigh.

Hang in there, Max! I'm thinking of you and pulling for your full recovery. :)

~Lisa

TjandMark said...

Hmm, just to let you know, we often start our day in the hot tub too. Perhaps being a gentleman rancher is contagious! Keep on getting well and enjoy the calm.

Pam said...

Max
Somebody has to sacrifice and go the hot tub route, so glad you are willing to man up and take the hit for everyone!!

Enjoy Grandma Pam

Unknown said...

Now that I am in on the Galloping Grace blog loop. I am glad Max is on the road to recovery. I can't wait to plan a visit to New Mexico upon our return to the states and see your wonderful ranch. Keep up the great work Max and Michelle

Dan and Betty said...

Hey, maybe we should install a BIG hot tub at the ranch so we volunteers could have a soak before working?

What do you think?

dAN

Keri said...

You could learn to knit, Max. I hear it is very therapeutic!

Michelle, have a great time in Grant's classroom.

Andrea said...

I am glad Max is feeling better. That is great! But take it slow. It sounds like Max needs to hang out with Bear more often, resting in the hot tub, and we want pictures!!!! LOL!!

Robin said...

So glad to hear Max is doing so well.

Samantha said...

That is a fantastic image! Maybe Jarrah can join you in the hot tub--she's going stir-crazy, too. :)

I'm so glad to hear right from the horse's mouth that he is on the mend! :) (The stone cold horse, that is. ;0)

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Five weeks!?! Jeez, it seems like yesterday, well, maybe not for you guys.
I'm so glad he's doing well. Getting antsy to go out and do things is such a good sign too!