These photos reminded me of an old song called, I think, On the Roof, by James Taylor. There is something wonderful, and exciting, about being above it all. When life gets scary or hectic I like to remove myself mentally from the moment to think of God's perspective, which is certainly higher than mine, and then I find the moment not so scary or hectic. This philosophical moment brought to you by... Tj
Man, that brings a flood of memories... we loved the sunrise and sunset views up on the roof. Our barn still sits in the middle of the San Jouquin valley; nearly flat, 300 miles long, 100 miles wide, and a patchwork quilt of fields and pastures framed by the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevadas and the more rounded coast range to the west. Watching thunderstorms stomp importantly across the valley floor to become part of the raging battles in the high country to the east is one of my favorite memories of childhood. Thanks for reminding me. As we got older,(MUCH older, kids) we loved to slide from the peak, launch off the upper roof, and ski to a stop (usually) before dropping off to the ground. When time and our butts had worn the galvanizing off the roof, Dad had us spend a few afternoons up there sweeping on a new coat. It felt like thanking a dear friend. mark
I never spent much time on roofs as a kid. My thrill was climbing trees - the higher the better. I loved to climb up and then see how quickly I could swing down from limb to limb like Tarzan.
Great pictures. I'm glad your kids get to experience life.
4 comments:
Great shots, but dang my hands are sweating!! I am so affraid of heights!! AHHHHHH!!!!
These photos reminded me of an old song called, I think, On the Roof, by James Taylor. There is something wonderful, and exciting, about being above it all. When life gets scary or hectic I like to remove myself mentally from the moment to think of God's perspective, which is certainly higher than mine, and then I find the moment not so scary or hectic. This philosophical moment brought to you by... Tj
Man, that brings a flood of memories... we loved the sunrise and sunset views up on the roof. Our barn still sits in the middle of the San Jouquin valley; nearly flat, 300 miles long, 100 miles wide, and a patchwork quilt of fields and pastures framed by the snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevadas and the more rounded coast range to the west. Watching thunderstorms stomp importantly across the valley floor to become part of the raging battles in the high country to the east is one of my favorite memories of childhood. Thanks for reminding me. As we got older,(MUCH older, kids) we loved to slide from the peak, launch off the upper roof, and ski to a stop (usually) before dropping off to the ground. When time and our butts had worn the galvanizing off the roof, Dad had us spend a few afternoons up there sweeping on a new coat. It felt like thanking a dear friend. mark
I never spent much time on roofs as a kid. My thrill was climbing trees - the higher the better. I loved to climb up and then see how quickly I could swing down from limb to limb like Tarzan.
Great pictures. I'm glad your kids get to experience life.
Dan
Post a Comment