Saturday, August 2, 2008

Unplugged

Blogger would not allow me to post yesterday. I guess before I totally blame free (thanks for letting us use you) Blogger, it might have been something with my Internet service. Whatever it was, I couldn't open up my blog. Now to more interesting topics...


Max picked up two saddles from a lady last evening who wanted to donate them to Galloping Grace. Rebecca Stevenson, thank you for your generous donation! Max said they are in really good shape and laughed that one of them is an English saddle only because he jokingly teases people/kids trained to ride that way. It's probably about time we had an English saddle on the premises.

Trish, Deanell, and Darren--thanks again for taking care of things while we were at the family ranch. It was such peace of mind knowing that you guys were in charge.


How about some more scenes from branding week?


The family cattle ranch isn't all hard work even though most people who come out think the hard work is lots of fun. When cattle drives are not going on, or trash doesn't need to be taken out, or calves are not ready to be branded quite yet, the unexpected is usually expected. There isn't a day in the summer that an impromptu reptile hunt doesn't begin or a mean game of ping pong takes place. I mention ping pong because it's what I do best! ;) What we really love about the ranch is that there is virtually no TV watching going on. It's a good thing. The best memories are made away from the set.


Last week my so-very-young-at-heart hubby loaded up a bunch of kids and headed to a "poop" pond. We have ponds that form whenever we get a good rain. I guess the land doesn't quite know what to do with all that moisture and a pond forms, or a dirt tank as they are sometimes called. Our kids prefer to think of them as free swimming pools. A couple years back we had a group swimming in one such tank that was pretty heavy on the cow manure. It was quite the smell when they were finished. Last week's pond was sparkling clean by poop pond standards.



The kids, ages 2-33, had a blast! It was one of those I'm so happy my children get to experience things like this moments.
The two girls playing chicken are teenagers--I love that the mix of ages didn't matter to this group.
In fact, I think the older kids might have had a tad more fun than the younger. Here we see Zack and Justin trying to gently encourage Renee to join them for a dip.






She politely declined, but they sure are persistent little boogers. I think they hated having all the fun without her. They enlisted more help. Jordann tried talking Renee into joining them as well. I couldn't quite hear what Renee was saying here, but I think it was along the lines of, well, I would hate to guess. Let's let the picture do the talking. Ahhh, Renee finally agreed and Amanda gave her a hug to say thanks. Don't we play nicely at the Wade Ranch? See how happy Renee was to join the party. And that Zack kid, look how he's trying to cool her off with water on her head and shoulders. They don't get any sweeter! Now that's living!
And was I ever happy to have an adult in the water to watch my little Grant! No, Max doesn't count. He was doing things like this the whole time! Do you really think he did me any good running off hills and jumping in the water?! At least he was having fun, and isn't that what ultimately matters? Cowgirl Erin was also there to keep an eye on Grant. What she must think of me as a mother! She was the one who tended to his sloshy boots, picked stickers out of his socks, and made sure he didn't drown. Thanks, Erin! That's her hanging out on the banks in the event that Grant goes under. His mother? Oh, miles away taking pictures, of course. You gotta respect that I'm trying to instill in my children a sense of independence. This scene about melted my heart. Justin and Zack walked Grant out to have some fun. Who said teenagers are rotten? Not these two! In fact, they are always so sweet to my kids. Well, except when they're beating on Garrett, but he usually has it coming. That child can be quite the pest. Good times!

This cute muffin is Stevoz. The boy can swim like nobodys business! He has set all kinds of records back at home in Boston. I made him promise to hook us up with tickets to the Olympics when he participates. Do you think his little chuckle is a binding contract? Even we have a Loch Ness Monster...and this! As disturbing as Bailey might look in the above images, she was perfectly fine. (But I think she might need a new pair of socks!) This was the last of the kids to hang around. I think a fun time was had by all.

I'm sure I'll be back with more electricity-free adventures.

Happy Saturday to you!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow~! That just brought back SO many fun memories!!! It was truly a blast! (Thanks for putting those pictures of me laying in the mud with my holy socks on! They are very attractive!)

Samantha said...

I learn so much from you! First, you can paint horses. And, it's fun to swim in manure.

Which reminds me, I am totally coming there for a vacation, so you better get that Tater Tot casserole ready...YUM!

Jessica Gordon said...

oh My GOSH!!! Poor Renee!

Looks like you all had a great time!

How did you get away with not being pulled into the water?? Or did you?

Shelly said...

btw - it was Blogger. apparently "some" blogs were marked as 'spam' - so i guess that was it. it effected me and some other blogs i tried, but others were fine.

LOVE your shots! they are all great and it looks like they all had a BLAST!

Anonymous said...

Hey Girlie! Love the pictures and could look at them all day every day. Never a moment without a large smile on all faces! It was the best of times and posssibly the dirtiest of times. (hence the sporting of not exactly the best attire, ex. the socks)
We totally miss our friends and can't wait to get back there! Or maybe a sweet friends may consider a visit!
Love Tons,
Holly

Dan and Betty said...

Super pictures. Hopefully, next year we'll be there with those pictures.

Dan

Anonymous said...

It looks so so fun!! And....you are my ping-pong hero!
Keri

Erin said...

That looks so fun! Wish we could have been there (although I'm sure I would have been the wimp on the sidelines).

Andrea said...

Holy smokes that looks like a blast!! YOu guys are so lucky to live there!! I love it!! I love how country kids just don't care. They have fun no matter what. And it was so nice of them to include Renee!! She looked like she really wanted to get into the water!! LOL!!