Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Things That Go Bump In The Night

I interrupt my regularly scheduled post (which was going to be a good one) with news from the ER. Technically we are no longer in the ER, and that makes me happy.

Let's see. It turns out Garrett's baseball swing has improved tremendously. It's just kind of a pity we had to figure that out shortly after the bat collided with Grant's forehead. The swelling was instant, and it wasn't pretty. Grant was in pain (obviously), and Claire and Garrett about lost it when they got a glimpse of the goose egg he had. I must admit I wasn't overly calm--it looked bad. I had to snap out of it a little to try and get those two under control. My real dilemma was whether or not he needed medical help. Max had to take Grant to the back to get him away from all the hysterics. Luckily, my mom and Trish were both at the house when it happened. They offered to help out with the kids if we wanted to take him in to be seen.

After a few more minutes, my mother insisted that we take him and fast! Being the sapient woman that she is, we listened. Honestly, I would not usually take my child to the ER for a bump on the forehead delivered by a baseball bat, but this was a special one. Also, I've watched too many medical dramas and started imagining all the internal bleeding taking place. Max said it was every bit as big as a golf ball, and it was really wide.

Before you say to yourself, "That doesn't look that big," realize it was so so much bigger in real life. I showed Max this picture right after I took it and he immediately said it didn't show the true size. Also, after sitting in ER for a while, the swelling did go down. Can you believe he got the lump of all lumps and I don't even have a good picture to show for it? Adult Grant will be so disappointed in his mother. Oh wait, are you guys thinking I'm silly for taking my camera to the ER? How mean! I take it everywhere! And in my defense, if he had been choking or bleeding profusely I would not have even looked for it. What kind of mother do you think I am? I wish I had the conversation recorded between the boys on the phone. It really was beyond precious. Grant kept telling Garrett that it was OK and that it was only an accident. Melted me. After seeing the doctor, it took near an hour to get discharged. This is Grant looking to see if the nurse is coming (and he wasn't.)

In summary, all's well that ends well. I get to revive him in a few hours to make sure he'll come to. (How lovely.) As long as he doesn't have any of the scary symptoms on the discharge papers any time in the next 48 hours, we should be in the clear. Don't think I enjoyed hearing him say, right before going to bed, "My tummy hurts." Please pray for a complication-free next two days and watch out for swinging bats!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

POOR BABY!!!! What a tough little guy - and poor Garrett. I bet he felt awful. Poor mama, too. Were you worried sick? And don't feel bad about the camera thing...you know at least one other mom who would've done nothing less. :)

Oh, and JuJu *is* ever so sapient!

love l

Samantha said...

Ouch! Hope the goose egg has shrunk and everyone is feeling better. How scary!

Anonymous said...

My Poor Granty! It's so unsettling to see an egg form on your babys head and amazing how fast and furious it can grow. How did you night go. Queezy at bedtime is not a good start. I suspect you didn't get much sleep. My prayers for a better day are with you and my poor little buddy.
H

Unknown said...

Hope he is feeling better today!
The word is: sapient.

Anonymous said...

Poor babies...have your kiddos recovered from last night's tragedy? Seeing something like that can be horrible for little ones...experiencing the pain of it...worse. We'll keep Grant in prayer for a speedy recovery.

sapient...still playing even when your baby has been to the ER, I'm impressed. (I would have totally forgot.)

Keri said...

giardia and a hemotoma!! What a night! (private joke!)
Really, though, we'll all say a prayer.

Dan and Betty said...

You did the right thing, without question - except the part about taking your camera, but I guess that's just Michelle ;)

I'll add him to my prayers for a quick and uneventful recovery.

Also, Garrett owes him one and I'm sure that when Grant gets a little older he'll probably collect in his own way.

Dan

Auntie Nee said...

Poor G man (Both of them). I can imagine the kids going crazy thinking that Grants head may explode. Hope he is better.

sapient-

Love

Auntie Nee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regina said...

sapient-word of the day

babyruth-the look with that big goose egg

homerun-hit by Garrett

you said discharge.

i cant believe claire and garrett didnt handle it well...i mean you are their mother and you are so good at keeping things in perspective and NEVER over exaggerating consequences of actions.
r

Regina said...

oh yeah, love love love the picture of him peering out the door!
r

Tammy Staley said...

Sorry Grant!
But Yeah! I'm not the only one that takes photos of my kids in the ER. :)

Anonymous said...

While I was reading the post I saw, first, a picture of Grant with a huge welt on his head. (By the way, no matter how much bigger it really was, it would have been big enough for me to freek out!) Second, I saw a picutre of the same boy, welt and all, but this time he had a smile on his face! Max and Michelle, you both raise truly remarkable kids! They can be wacked in the head or bit by some kind of reptile, yet melt hearts when they talk to each other on the phone! Remarkable!

Bailey

Diesel Diva said...

He will be fine. Heads are a lot harder than we give them credit. But still, poor kid, poor mom. We will keep him in our prayers.

It reminded me of the time Eric got stung by a bee on his forehead and while his eyes were swollen he fell down the stairs and had a huge goose egg too. He looked a fright. But he healed and luckily CPS never showed up, because the story sure sounded suspicious. LOL! But you know Eric... hard headed.

OOPS. Tj again, not diesel diva

Trish said...

Pictures look so much better then what it looked like in person. So impressed that you took your camera, I can't even remember to take my camera for Easton meeting his Kindergarten teacher. By the way word of the day: sapient. Still playing even with kid in the ER you are a true professional.