Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

Max Posting


Last night, Michelle gave you some hints about what she did yesterday. Most all of you guessed correctly --- She hauled hay with me!! Yes, it is true, she put the camera down and did some serious manual labor. Let me give you a little background about how this happened.


About a month ago, our good friend Marvin informed us that his uncle had agreed to donate a large amount of hay to Galloping Grace. I had been eagerly awaiting the call that the hay had been baled and it was ready to be picked up. Instead, the call came that the hay had been cut but it had not been baled because it got rained on.


For those of you who may not know, if the hay is not properly turned and allowed to dry, it will mold and spoil. So the process began of turning and drying the hay. I guess the saying "Be careful what you ask for" is true. As a rancher I am always praying for rain, and in this situation, my prayers were answered not once but three times.


The call finally came in on Sunday afternoon that the hay had been baled and was ready to be picked up. Because the forecast showed possible showers and the fact that we had only about a week's worth of hay in the barn, we had to act fast. On such short notice, I did not want to burden our team of volunteers so I was at a loss.


To my utter amazement Michelle volunteered to help!!! I will take this opportunity to apologize to her for any doubt that I might of had about her willingness and ability to do this kind of work. She put in a call to our amazing friend Trish, who also surprised me by canceling a doctor's appointment so that she could help us. For those of you who don't know, Trish is Chase's wife. If you want to know why this is so funny to me, read this.


So yesterday, I headed to the farm with my crew: Michelle, Trish, Daren, my two year old son Grant, and Trish's three year old daughter Kaley. We will fill you in on all of the details and the pictures later. This post is my opportunity to tell you I have a completely new level of respect for my wife. Trish was amazing as well, but honestly, I expected her to handle it just fine. After all, she can do this.

Again, I am sorry, but I just didn't know that Michelle had it in her. We picked up and stacked and unloaded and stacked again 280 bales of hay yesterday. I would be surprised if she didn't pick up virtually every one of those bales at least twice in the process. What a woman!!!!!!!! Maybe I should start taking the pictures and let her do the heavy lifting. I have always thought she was amazing, but after yesterday, all I can say is WOW!!!!

Michelle here.
Geez, honey--thanks...I think. You really know how to dish out the compliments! ;) Don't get used to that kind of work from me--I'm a bit of a one hit wonder. Plus, I would hate to steal all your glory!

11 comments:

TjandMark said...

Take care of your aching back, Michelle. I helped Mark a month ago with hay and then was laid up until I took the time to go visit the chiropractor. Be careful... Of course, you are a lot younger than I am. LOL! good times.

Tj

Anonymous said...

One Hit Wonders are good things...they have always been some of my favorites!

Dan and Betty said...

Wow, I didn't know you were Superwoman in the disguise of a mild-mannered wife, mother and photographer.

Well done.

Dan

PS: I'll call you the next time they deliver our hay and it has to be put into our stable.

Andrea said...

That was so nice of Max!! And woman are stronger then men think, we lift those kids up and down all day long. It can make a bale of hay look light!! LOL!! :)
I am known to be a one hit wonder!!

Anonymous said...

I always knew you had in you! But who picked up the photog slack, I'd like to know?? Nobody can work that magic like you do. love

Pam said...

WOW!! You have both qualified to be called Cowgirl Michelle and Cowgirl Trisha. I hope Grant and Kaley did their fair share and didn't slack off.

Love reading the blog all the time

Grandma Pam

Keri said...

Good job, Michelle. How wonderful to be told by your Honey how great you are, too!

Trish said...

I find this posting outrageous and egregious. Egregious another candidate for word of the day. Here i sit where I was on Monday when the phone rings and to my surprise it's max. If I may quote him accurately "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come out and help me, I am weak and tired and I need some more help". Like the good buddy I am I stop working at the drop of a dime, get dressed as fast as I can and rush out to help my tired wife and two friends. Oh, and along the way I stopped to pick up pizza for everyone. In the midst of doing about 85% of the work at this time let me tell you the thanks I get (the one left out in Max's most recent posting), here I am the buckenest hay bucker you have ever seen and Michelle viciously and maliciously tosses a bale of hay right on my ankle. That's the thanks I got. Some of you say take care of your aching back, I say this mild-mannered superwoman should stay with photography or as she said in her posting and I quote "barefoot and pregnant". Those of us who helped can't afford a broken ankle. I have a hitting streak in softball to worry about. As I ice down my swollen ankle for the third night in a row I will wrap this up with the country saying "kiss my grits max" although I am sure you all know what is implied.
Respectfully submitted this 27th day of August, Chase Koester, sargent at arms.

Plowing and Sowing said...

It is a blast when our family can work together. Even though everyone is tired and sore there a feeling of pride that seems to make the pain worth it.

The Wades said...

First off, Chase, thank you so much for bucking the hay once we got back to the ranch. I thought I thanked you several times for coming to help once we were beyond exhausted. Now, you are blaming me for your ankle? The ankle you hurt tripping over a hay bale? I get blamed for harming you??? Unbelievable! I realize you are probably embarrassed getting hurt in such a silly way, but to imply it was MY fault? Sad!

Last dear Chase, thank you so much for bringing out that pizza! I thought that was very sweet of you! I think I would have probably mentioned it in my post had you not spead lies about me.

Love, Michelle

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ok, Michelle. Good for you in helping out in a pinch, but don't do it too often.

Watch out,or one day, you'll turn around and catch Mark, sitting down with his feet up, relaxing, while you're tossing bales! hehe