Here were Lexi's desires for a fantastic vacation:
- Climb towers
- ride first day
- play tag and hide and go seek
- have a race
- catch bunnies
- catch lizards
- rock hunting
- make nachos
- make popsicles
- feather hunting
- hunting for eggs
- catch chickens
- climb barn roof
- help separate cows
- help cook
- climb through window
- chase boys (horses)
- catch frogs and toads
- catch waterdogs
- climb the clubhouse
- sleep in clubhouse
To think, these are the things Lexi longed to do for a whole year. Cute baby!
I was smiling the whole time reading this. Lexi is something else. She adores our ranch manager, Candido, and I'm pretty sure he feels the same. He gets a real kick out of her spunky spirit and love of all things cowboy. I guess the big joke was that Lexi was in charge of the cattle drives this year instead of Candido. No one could ever accuse her of being pusillanimous.
It was Lexi's birthday during branding week. I know the ranch is the exact place she would want to celebrate her big day. When asked what she wanted, Lexi joked with Candido that she wanted his new horse as her own. He didn't quite give her the horse, but he gave her naming rights. Lexi came up with a few names and left the list for his consideration. Candido didn't go for that. According to Holly, Lexi's mom, he told her that a list didn't do him any good--he needed her decision. She finally decided on Spirit, the horse from her favorite movie. Candido later joked with Steve, Lexi's dad, that he was going to have to go and break it to the gelding that his new name was Spirit. I think the truth is that Candido loves the name because it came from Lexi. Geez, this would be the perfect place to insert a picture of the two of them talking or even of Spirit. Ugh. Imagine please.
Lexi wants to hurry and finish school so she can live on a ranch and become a ranch manager.
Holly took this last picture--I just love it! I think Candido better watch his back. There's a girl with a real passion who's coming after his job in a few years short years!
15 comments:
This story about Lexi really touched my heart. Maybe because I can see myself in her.
She's a beautiful soul
with a free Spirit.....
seems only fitting that's
what she'd name 'her' horse. :)
Great post. See, I knew your Monday post would be far more interesting that anything I could write.
Seriously, it just confirms that the 'spirit' of the West lives in the heart, not in where a person lives.
Thanks for sharing.
Dan
What a cutie. It's so great that kids have a place (or 2) to go where they can experience what childhood should be...carefree and full of exploration. Thank you for sharing your ranches with everyone!
I see you have taken back up with the "game". Word of the Day...pusillanimous. Nice one!
pusillanimous - the fun is back!
did she get to cross it all off?
lis
Love your blog. Have been following along for several months and finally decided to play.
The word is: pusillanimous.
Keep up the wonderful work you do!
I got all gushy myself reading today....all teary eyed. I love the story of Lexi and Candido. And what a beauty she is, inside and out. And you, too, my friend!
Love the story, that's what it is al about.
I guess all get over my hurt feelings of your kids not picking me and get back in the game: pusillanimous. Good one your words are flowing so nice it is hard to pick them out.
I can not express to anyone how much the ranch, Candido, the Wades, and all their family and friends have done to make this girl what she is today. They have inspired her, challenged her, and motivated her in just being who they are and doing what it is that they do best. Again.......words fail to justify what they have given her as well as us. We are enternally greatful.
There always now in heart and hopefully more often in person.
Boston Buddies
Twinville and Dan, love what you said about her and the name Spirit. You're right--very appropriate.
Dena, Lisa, and Trish--excited to have you back. Thanks for playing along. :)
Keri, I love that you get all gushy. I just knew we'd be great friends. :)
Hugeyah, thanks for reading and commenting. Such nice words--now identify yourself!! ;) Teasing.
Boston Buddy Holly--right back at ya! Thanks so much for all you do! You guys are amazing.
finally picking it back up eh?
pusillanimous
Love that first pic, it looks like she's modeling.
pusillanimous... has to be your word, cause I can't even pronounce it! :)
so i will play the word is pusillanimous
see i do leave comments, thanks for the reminder yesterday on the 3 times i had to wash my hair to get all the poop out!!!! overall though your husband is right, its good times in the poop pond
She is such a neat little girl! I so longed for one of my children to have the passion for the "west" like she does. Her list and my list would almost be the same. I wouldn't want to catch the lizards. She is such a beautiful girl, I love that last photo!!
Hey I forgot, where is Hank? No updates? I bet he is getting huge!!
If you want to see what she'll be like at eighteen, meet Johanna on our blog! Not a pusillanimous bone in her either!
Post a Comment