Friday, August 8, 2008

Fun with Flame

In my last post I told you all about the story of us getting Flame. If you don't know what I'm talking about, scroll down and read the story so you'll have a little background. I wanted to follow up what happened Flame's first morning at GG.

Max had a regular group of kiddos out riding around in the arena. When I pulled up, I was pleasantly surprised to see Flame in the rotation. Sorcha, an adorably confident eight year old, was riding him like nobody's business! Once again, Flame had no bit and it didn't matter in the slightest. She was all giggles taking him around with all the other children. Flame had no problem with the other horses, and they didn't seem to mind him a bit.

The kids (ages 8-15) let me know that they've thought up a new name for Flame--Ash. Their logic you ask? Well, he once was a Flame, but that has burned out because he's older now. Obviously he should now be called Ash. I think that is such a creative idea, but I'm not sure we should go changing his name after all these years. Horses clearly respond to their names when called just like dogs. (I joke!) I think I feel a poll coming on--what do all of you think? What would Karen and Larry think? They are probably reasonable adults who don't get worked up about such silly matters. I heard that my own daughter thought it was a dreadful idea. She feels that his name is Flame and Flame it should stay.

Now for my twist. Trish was watching Larry and Karen's granddaughter yesterday morning. DeDe, Alex's mom, gave permission for Trish to bring her out to GG. This was only Alex's second time to come out. Once again, she couldn't have been a better baby. Talk about easy cheesy! I could tell she was excited seeing all the horses. Trish said she was talking about "my horsey." I asked Trish if she would throw her up on Flame. I'm a sap and thought it would be pretty special for her to ride her grandma's horse at the ranch. In my mind, and in Alex's, it was great! She was so happy on the horse.

They walked around and around and around! It's too bad Trish is such a bully and wanted to pull poor Alex off the most fun horse she's ever experienced in her whole entire life. Trish kept saying, "One more time around, Alex. You're mommy will be waiting for us." Alex is no dummy. She knew when Max and Trish turned back around that they intended for her to stop.
Alex said over and over, "That way." Max is such a softy that he fell for it time after time. Finally, Trish put her foot down and got Alex off.
Sweet little muffin! I don't know about that Trish character. How can she do that to this precious baby? Poor Alex pouted and then started bawling! She was so forlorn that I almost had to throw her back up in the saddle.

At least we know she had a good time.

That was my whole exciting twist. I just thought it was a neat thing that the horse was living over an hour away from us and the very next day after we take Flame in, the granddaughter of the donors got to ride him at GG. I know I tend to get a little overly sentimental, but I love all the amazing things happening on a daily basis.

Thanks so much for all your prayers and well wishes. They mean a ton to us.

Have a great weekend! Go Team USA!

12 comments:

Trish said...

By the way we barely got home and mom was there. Alex was definitly more excited about seeing mom, although Flame was a close second.

Trish said...

Word of the day: forlorn. Did I miss a better word. usually your words of the day are longer

Dan and Betty said...

Great post and great pictures as always. Flame definitely looks like an asset to the ranch. There's a lot of life still left.

Regards,

Dan

Keri said...

I love that your sentimental! And Flame is beautiful. But that sweet baby is even prettier! She needs to be dipped in chocolate and nibbled!

Regina said...

am i copying if i say:
the word of the day is forlorn

r

Regina said...

perhaps if he was grey, ash would be better. however, since he is a flame-ish red, flame makes more sense.
r

TjandMark said...

It seems like his candle is still burning bright so perhaps his name should remain the same. Flame. Although, Ash is cute.
Beautiful story.

Tj

TjandMark said...

It seems like his candle is still burning bright so perhaps his name should remain the same. Flame. Although, Ash is cute.
Beautiful story.

Tj

Andrea said...

Alex is such a cutie! I love her pointing telling Max where to go!! She is too cute, I would have fallen for it too! It looks like Flame/Ash will be loving life at the ranch!
I keep the name of the horse that it comes with. I am weird like that. I know they don't respond to but I keep their name. I am weird. My inlaws have no problem changing names from day to day!! LOL

Anonymous said...

awww - what a cutie muffin, even a forlorn cutie muffin :)

lis

Unknown said...

I vote to keep his name the same. Oh, and the word of the day is: forlorn.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That Alex is adorable! What amazing miracles are always happening at GG.

Check out that gorgeous spirited Arabian tail! Flame still carries that fire within his sprit!