A few nights ago I went to post. I looked back to the two prior posts and thought, "Hmph! My comments have dwindled. I would like to pout because the comments are what keep me happily posting. I think I'll have a temporary strike. At least that will get me out of posting for tonight."
The next night I had probably less energy to spend time uploading pictures and writing senseless babble using words like wonderful, awesome, and great every other sentence. I thought, "Well, I suppose I can jokingly comment about still being on strike. They'll know it is a joke because I'm going to be publishing something."
Some of you did probably get it. Dena called me on it by saying, "OK, give up the plight... this is SO not a strike... you keep on posting." Exactly, Dena. Thank you.
If one does go on a pretend strike, when exactly does one end such antics? Should I suddenly be grateful for three whole comments on subsequent posts? I would say not.
Let me explain something about myself. Have you ever heard of the book The Five Love Language? It talks about how we all experience love in different ways. Some of you might most appreciate a gift. Jewelry shows you how much your hubby loves you. A new shirt says love from you wife. Me, I do not need gifts to know someone loves me. Max is the same. We have an awesome arrangement where we do not even get each other Christmas presents. Don't be horrified. We are absolutely delighted with this arrangement. I don't have to go shopping for him, he doesn't have to go shopping for me. Win/win and how! On the rare occasion I see something he'd like, I'll buy it just to torture him. He gets very stressed out thinking I changed the rules. This past year we both tried the--HA! I got you something. I'm so funny game. This love language is not my biggest priority. And true, I am very appreciate when someone gives me a gift. But no, I do not need it to know you are my friend. I know that by the comments you leave. ;)
I should briefly spell out the five love languages before I get you completely confused. Here they are to the best of my recollection:
- gifts
- acts of service (mowing the lawn, picking up dry cleaning, etc.)
- physical touch (hugs, kisses, more than that, pats, etc.)
- quality time
- words of affirmation
Max is a big physical touch guy. Although he probably has multiple love languages, this one is his biggest. He gets so happy if I just walk past him and touch his back.
I am a pretty needy one. Guilty of requiring a lot. My biggest has to be words of affirmation--you know, like comments. :) And if I'm being honest, I don't even need sweet ones. I just like to know that I'm not writing to myself. OF COURSE this is lame! Yes, it is. Selfish too. I don't care. Seeing a comment come in is fun for me! Regina asked who I was doing the blog for--wasn't it for myself? Um, I guess. But I get delight from reading what all of you have to say. Cracks me up, warms my heart, makes me think, makes me want to write more. I love the interaction. Pray for me if you must.
The great news is that I probably will not post begging you to send me a scarf or pretty picture frame. Just if you ever think "I should say. . ." and then talk yourself out of it, hook a sister up with a word or two.
Love,
The Pathetic One
22 comments:
Love the blog love ya There I commented for you
Aww, gal. I simply love you and your blog! You are awesome for many of the things you do.
Grace and I delight each morning in meeting in the kitchen, getting breakfast (and hoping Alex doesn't throw his on us ;) ) and reading the GGYR blog.
GGYR has brought a lot to our family and that includes this blog and you.
HUGS to you and your family. :)
Hey, Michelle! Thanks for sharing your words and pictures through the blog. I'm one of those guilty of reading but not commenting, so I'll try to mend my ways. Always wonderful to hear about the latest on the ranch.
You and Max are wonderful people, and we really appreciate both of you. Give him a hug from our whole family. (Hey...now you're BOTH covered. Look at that!)
Hope you have a great day! Glad you "struck out". :)
I love the blog and love my sister! I think she's the best blog writer out there. Funny, insightful, sweet, grateful, big-hearted, generous, and cute posts brighten every day. That's not to mention the spectacular photography, which needs no words to supplement it.
OK since this is one that you wrote and not one someone else wrote, I will comment. My no commenting strike is now over,
love
Here are the biggest words of affirmation you can get: I read your blog every day. PW- not so much. I love her, but I forget. You- unforgettable.
I'm a words of affirmation gal too. If you don't comment after my comment so I know you read my comment, then I could just be commenting to myself, for all I know. How do I know you even read my comments?
Love ya;)
Ok - now that I know your love language, I feel compelled to leave a comment! :-) I've laughed out loud at your blog strike! Michelle - I had forgotten how funny you are! *smile*
Amen sister! I feel your 'words of affirmation' needs....really I do. And by the way, where have you been? My blog misses you!! Seriously, this was a great post....I loved it!
I would be happy if I got half the comments you do, but then you're a much better writer than I am.
Feel better?
Dan ;)
Wow! You are needy! So here's your comment. Feel better now? Love ya!
dont worry you are not writing to yourself! it puts the biggest smile on my face when i am able to read what you guys are doing out there!keep writing no matter what an body say, becayse your great at it! so just remeber your awlays writing for at least one person.....me :)!
You keep me laughing!! Love your blog and your pretend strike and I don't think you are needy at all! :)
well, since you called me dim witted i guess i can call you pathetic, i think my four month old is less needy than you, a 42 year old. goodness gracious.
and dont lie, you get in a tizzy over not nice comments.
and cindy's comment is GREAT (except for the whole 'you're unforgettable' blather. the second half of the comment, so funny!
now, in the infamous words of sarah, i can't talk to shames, but replace shames with shelly.
r
a word or two.
regina, don't cheat me of three years! *sticking tongue out*!
I am an "acts of service" gal, myself.
I really enjoy reading your blog. I check it every day, as part of my online routine. You certainly have great subject matter to write about, but your writing style is very good and highly entertaining. Love it.
I'm another one who reads (semi-)daily and never comments. (Who would want to read what I have to say anyway?) But know that there are plenty of us who enjoy reading what you have to say and seeing your pics - and just don't comment. (I still may not comment much, but I'll try...) I love your wit, though - you are too funny.
Gee, yep, you're high maintenance. lol!
My hubby and I don't exchange gifts for Christmas either, or even our anniversary. We'd rather combine our wants or needs and buy something together that we can really use.
I started blogging just to keep my far-away family updated on our goings-on. None of them ever left comments, though they'd call me or e-mail me to let me know they read a post.
But now, I get comments and they do tend to be addictive.
But I'm finding that I just don't have time to visit all of my favorite blogs anymore, so my comments have dropped.
What can ya do?
I still stop by your blog from time time, though I don't always leave comments.
But this comment is your gift. And you don't even need to regift it afterwards, either :)
~Lisa
I want ALL those acts of love!! :) Wowwy. I must be ultra high maintenance!!
I love, love, love, love, love you, Mrs. Michelle. I think you are AWESOME. (See sentence 7 in your blog. ;0)) And I mean it.
Just coming back to say Grace wants you to know she loves her "Horse Lady". :)
WooHoo. Somehow I missed this post and I am happy to see you got a lot of comments. I think I am physical touch and Mark is acts of service, which is bad because I am one lazy gal. ;-) To be totally honest, I think we all like comments, it helps us realize we aren't whistling in the dark. Muah.
That's so interesting! I am definitely like you. "Words of affirmation." Now I have a name for it!
Post a Comment